DOGS Checklist for Graduate Handbooks v2.0
Use the following document to develop and check your department handbook. Essential items are listed first, and there is an extended list of supplementary items following.
Family Leave and Dismissal Policies
Following the direction of President Pershing, departments are expected to produce their own policy language for graduate student family leave and dismissal. Below you will find some examples of these policies across University of Utah departments to help guide you in creating your own policies.
Parental Leave Policies
- Department of Chemistry Graduate Handbook, Page 4
- Physics and Astronomy Graduate Student Handbook, Page 4
- The Department of Communication Graduate Student Handbook, Page 15
- College of Health Parental Leave Policy
- The Department of Communication Graduate Student Handbook, Page 16
- Neurobiology & Anatomy Graduate Student Handbook, Section 2, Page 2 – 3
- OS Dismissal Policy
University Policy 6-309 – Academic Staff, Educational Trainees, Postdoctoral Fellows and Medical House Staff (D. Orderly Dismissal)
Family Leave Policies at Other Institutions
You may also want to look at the following reference materials which speak to different aspects of the issue. You can see there was a big push for this nationwide several years ago; we are definitely in the minority.
Office of General Counsel
201 Presidents Circle
Room 309 SLC, UT 84112