Application Instructions for FY 2020 – 2021
The Graduate School Diversity Office is committed to supporting the academic success of McNair Scholars pursuing graduate degrees by offering one-time fellowship awards and inviting McNair alumni to participate in our McNair Scholars Graduate Network. The Ronald E. McNair Graduate Fellowship was created to support first-year graduate students in their pursuit of a Ph.D. or master’s degree. Two $18,000 fellowships will be awarded which may qualify the student for a 100% tuition benefit. This award does not carry a service expectation and allows the McNair Graduate Fellow to transition into their graduate program, focus on their academic success, and build a support system at the University of Utah. McNair Graduate Fellows will have the opportunity to be paired with an advanced graduate student mentor (McNair alumni) to ensure a smooth transition to graduate school at the University of Utah.
Application Deadline: Monday, March 16, 2020, by 12:00 pm
Award Notifications: April 1, 2020
- Successful completion of a McNair Scholars Program.
- Must be an incoming graduate student who will be enrolled full-time in an eligible graduate program (professional graduate programs are not eligible).
- Must be pursuing your first master’s or doctorate degree.
- Cannot hold a departmental teaching/research assistantship or similar fellowship award in conjunction with Ronald E. McNair Graduate Fellowship.
- Active participation in the McNair Scholars Graduate Network.
- Two check-in meetings a semester with the Assistant Dean for Diversity.
- Submit a one-page annual progress report at the end of Spring semester.
- Application form
- Official transcripts (Registrar sealed envelope or the Registrar can email the transcripts to firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Curriculum vitae
- Essay (one-page max, single-spaced): Discuss your background and your educational/career goals. How will your research contribute to your educational and/or career aspirations?
- Letters of recommendation:
- Submit two letters of recommendation from faculty – one must be from your McNair faculty mentor. The recommendation should discuss the student’s research competencies, academic promise, and commitment to pursuing a Ph.D.
- Graduate program acceptance letter (if received)
- McNair Scholar Verification Form: Submit form verifying your completion of an undergraduate McNair Scholars Program.
Application materials should be submitted via email to: email@example.com.
Transcripts can be mailed to:
University of Utah
Graduate School Diversity Office
201 S. Presidents Circle, Rm 302
Salt Lake City, UT 84112
Questions about the fellowship should be directed to: firstname.lastname@example.org