Application Instructions for FY 2019-2020
The Graduate School Diversity Office is committed to supporting the academic success of McNair Scholars pursuing graduate degrees by offering one-time fellowship awards and inviting McNair alumni to participate in our McNair Scholars Graduate Network. The Ronald E. McNair Graduate Fellowship was created to support first-year graduate students in their pursuit of a Ph.D. or master’s degree. Two $18,000 fellowships will be awarded which may qualify the student for a 100% tuition benefit. This award does not carry a service expectation and allows the McNair Graduate Fellow to transition into their graduate program, focus on their academic success, and build a support system at the University of Utah. McNair Graduate Fellows will have the opportunity to be paired with an advanced graduate student mentor (McNair alumni) to ensure a smooth transition to graduate school at the University of Utah.
Application Deadline: Friday, March 15, 2019 by 12:00 pm
Award Notifications: Monday, April 1, 2019
- Successful completion of a McNair Scholars Program.
- Must be an incoming graduate student who will be enrolled full-time in an eligible graduate program (professional graduate programs are not eligible).
- Must be pursuing your first master’s or doctorate degree.
- Cannot hold a departmental teaching/research assistantship or similar fellowship award in conjunction with Ronald E. McNair Graduate Fellowship.
- Active participation in the McNair Scholars Graduate Network.
- Two check-in meetings a semester with the Assistant Dean for Diversity.
- Submit a one-page annual progress report at the end of Spring semester.
- Application form
- Official transcripts (in a sealed envelope or the Registrar can email to email@example.com).
- Curriculum vitae
- Essay (one-page max, single-spaced): Discuss your background and your educational/career goals. How will your research contribute to your educational and/or career aspirations?
- Letters of recommendation:
- Submit two letters of recommendation from faculty – one must be from your McNair faculty mentor. The recommendation should discuss the student’s research competencies, academic promise, and commitment to pursuing a Ph.D.
- Graduate program acceptance letter (if received)
- McNair Scholar Verification Form: Submit form verifying your completion of an undergraduate McNair Scholars Program.
Application materials should be addressed to Dr. Araceli Frias and submitted via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Transcripts can be mailed to this address
University of Utah
Graduate School Diversity Office
201 S. Presidents Circle, Rm 302
Salt Lake City, UT 84112
Questions about the fellowship should be directed to Dr. Frias