Undergraduate Prize Amount: $10,000
Graduate Prize Amount: $20,100 plus regular graduate tuition and subsidized health insurance
For: students in the Colleges of Education and Humanities and direct descendants of Ellen Christina Steffensen Cannon
The Steffensen Cannon Scholarship is for graduate and undergraduate students in the Colleges of Education and Humanities as well as for direct descendants of Ellen Christina Steffensen Cannon. Also for secondary education (particular in mathematics and science) and early childhood education students who will be in the teacher certification program in the Graduate School of Education by the beginning of the academic year of the award.
- Undergraduate scholarships are $10,000 for the academic year (no tuition coverage is included)
- Graduate scholarships are $19,500 for the academic year and include regular graduate tuition and mandatory fees, as well as subsidized health insurance
- Renewable one year
- 12 to 15 awards given annually
A Steffensen Cannon scholar demonstrates strength of character, intellectual and academic achievement, or the potential for such achievement, as well as leadership and other qualities evidencing a desire to pursue excellence. Specifically:
- The Steffensen Cannon Scholarship is for full-time, matriculated students at the University of Utah.
- Applicants are restricted to
- undergraduate (including incoming freshmen) or graduate students in the Colleges of Education and Humanities,
- secondary education students (particularly in mathematics, science, and early childhood education) who will be in the College of Education’s teacher certification program, and
- direct descendants* of Ellen Christina Steffensen Cannon. Descendants may pursue any program of study at the University of Utah.
- Descendants receive preference for scholarships where
- competing candidates are comparable,
- descendants show reasonable financial need,
- are incoming freshmen who have maintained a high school standing in the top 25 percent of their class;
- are undergraduates with a grade point average (GPA) of 2.75 or better; or
- are graduate students with a 3.0 GPA or better on a 4.0 scale.
- Students who have held undergraduate Steffensen Cannon Scholarships are eligible to apply as graduate students, but will receive no special preference. If an undergraduate scholar graduates after one year of scholarship support and wishes to apply as a graduate student, then she/he must complete a new application.
*Direct Descendent Requirements
- A statement showing the direct lineage must accompany the Steffensen Cannon application.
- For requirements of this scholarship, “descendant” means a direct descendant of Ellen Christina Steffensen Cannon (e.g., grandchild, great-grandchild, niece, grandnephew, etc.)
- Indirect relationships, (e.g. stepchild, step-grandchild. etc.) with the Steffensen Cannon or Cannon family do not satisfy the eligibility requirement for claiming descendancy.
- To claim financial need, please complete the FAFSA form (Free Application for Federal Student Aid).
- A scholar may not accept remuneration from other scholarships while a Steffensen Cannon scholar.
- The intent of this scholarship is to provide recipients the opportunity for full-time
study without any burden of employment. If a scholar desires limited employment (<10/wk),
then they must submit a written request to the Steffensen Cannon Committee for its
consideration and approval. The request must include
- the nature of the proposed work,
- number of hours involved,
- why it is necessary to do this work while a scholar,
- how it relates to the scholar’s academic or professional career, and
- how it will enhance and not impede the completion of academic work in an excellent and timely manner.
Second Year Renewal
Undergraduate and/or graduate scholarships are awarded for the academic year with possibility of a second year renewal up to a maximum of two years support.
- A student must be in good standing as determined by their academic department and
must remain in the specific program for which the scholarship was awarded.
- If a student does not remain in the program and/or does not remain in good standing, the balance of the scholarship monies will be returned to the Steffensen Cannon fund.
- Graduate student renewal is dependent upon evidence that the student has made significant progress on their research project.
Scholars wishing to apply for a second year renewal must contact the director of Graduate Fellowships no later than December 31, 2022 to obtain renewal information.