Grammarly Premium is a premiere AI writing assistant that helps develop writing skills as well as edit text documents (i.e. word), emails, Facebook, Twitter, or any web-based application.
The Graduate School has purchased a subscription which provides Grammarly Premium software to all University of Utah graduate/professional students at no cost to the individual.
How can Grammarly help me?
- grammar and sentence structure correction
- suggestions for clarity & readability
- plagiarism & citation checks
- individualized writing feedback
Take some time–and the virtual tours–to build your understanding of Grammarly and how it can help you.
- Grammarly will email all active grad students an "Activate My Account" link to the Umail account.
- Once clicked verify your information and provide a password (DO NOT use your CIS password).
- Grammarly Premium account is active
In order to serve students who have defended but are still working on finalizing dissertations and theses, account activation instructions will also be sent to students who had active status within the last three semesters but have not yet graduated.
What’s the best way to use Grammarly?
- Grammarly can be used while you are typing to spot-check your grammar in real time, or can be used to scan documents after they have been written. You can use either functionality, or both at the same time–experiment with what works best with your writing habits.
- Because Grammarly uses Artificial Intelligence, it’s most effective if you use it often. As it learns your writing style and the way things are written in your discipline, it will develop individualized writing support to help teach you how to further polish your writing.
- Use Grammarly on your Thesis or Dissertation prior to submitting it to the Thesis Office for review. Using Grammarly can speed up the approval of your manuscript and make the Thesis Release process smoother and more efficient.
Note: that you can use the online tool as a check for your grammar, or download the Grammarly apps to help you in real-time on Word, Windows, and Chrome platforms.
If it is the beginning of a semester, your invitation to Grammarly will be sent to you in a couple of weeks.
If you are an active student who has chosen to forward your Umail account to another email application, your Grammarly subscription may be flagged as spam. The best way to access your Grammarly account is through your Umail account (uID@utah.edu). Every student has a Umail account, which can be accessed at CIS. Official University information comes to this account.
If your Grammarly activation is not in your Umail account, speak to your department advisor or email the Grad School for assistance.
Go to the Grammarly reset password page.
Technical support requests should be directed to Grammarly support.