Authority & Responsibilities
- Review and evaluate all existing departments and programs that award graduate and undergraduate degrees and certificates and work with the Undergraduate Council on these reviews.
- Establish policies and procedures for The Graduate School (subject to review by the Academic Senate as specified in Faculty Regulations).
- Review and evaluate proposals for
- new graduate degrees and certificates;
- academic administrative units (e.g., departments, divisions);
- centers, institutes, and bureaus
- and proposals for name changes or major revisions of the preceding.
- Other responsibilities as established by University or Utah Board of Higher Education
- The administration of professional degrees may be delegated by the Graduate Council to colleges, schools, or departments.
The Graduate Council members shall be appointed by the University president on recommendation of the dean of The Graduate School.
- Nominations of faculty members will be made by College Councils for communication by the college dean to the dean of The Graduate School.
- Faculty members on the Council shall represent all schools and colleges offering degrees under the jurisdiction of the Graduate Council.
Nominations of student members will be made by ASUU for communication by the ASUU president to the dean of The Graduate School.