Graduate Subsidized Health Insurance Program

2020-21 Academic Year

Graduate students that are supported as a Research Assistant (9314), Teaching Assistant (9416), Graduate Assistant – Research Focus (9330), and Graduate Assistant – Teaching Focus (9417), and are receiving a 100% tuition benefit, may be eligible for the University of Utah’s Graduate Subsidized Health Insurance Program (GSHIP). GSHIP includes health insurance through United HealthCare Student Resources, and dental and vision insurance through Educators Mutual. Coverage for dependents is not subsidized.

Qualifying students are billed for 20% of the premium through Income Accounting.  The Graduate School pays the remaining 80% at the start of the semester. The Graduate School is then reimbursed via employer payroll deduction from the TA benefit pool, RA benefit allotment or department activity. For this reason, RA’s must be paid from a grant (5000 fund) that has a benefit allotment for each student researcher. GT’s and GR’s should only be added to GSHIP if there are funds available at the department level to cover the 80% premium cost.

If you choose to enroll, your responsibility for the program (20% of the overall premium) will be billed to your tuition statement as follows:

Fall Semester Student Portion (20%): $180.81
Coverage Dates: 8/16/20 – 12/31/20

Spring Semester Student Portion (20%): $297.55
Coverage Dates: 1/1/21 – 8/15/21

Rates and brochures for the health insurance policy are available online at www.uhcsr.com/utah. 

Click to access the EMI Dental/Vision brochure.

Note: if you are eligible for the subsidized program, please do not complete your own enrollment with the insurance carrier. The Graduate School will complete your enrollment and pay the premium directly to the carrier.

Students who are not eligible for the subsidized program, but would like to enroll in the program at their own cost, should visit the Student Health Services website and navigate to “Insurance” (http://www.studenthealth.utah.edu/).