Master's Candidate Graduation Overview
Graduate School Protocol
Although your department coordinator will complete each of the items in your Graduate Student Summary, you should be aware of the following deadlines to ensure graduation in a specific semester.
If you have any questions about this protocol or whether your Graduate Student Summary has been completed by the given deadlines, please consult with your department coordinator.
Thesis Office Requirements
Additionally, the Thesis Office has further requirements to obtain a Thesis Release (required prior to graduation).
An overview of these requirements and their deadlines, as well as information about submission of theses and dissertations, format samples, and required forms, are available from the Thesis Office.
Questions regarding theses and dissertations should be directed to the Thesis Office.
|Semester of Graduation||Last day department-approved submissions over 200 pages will be accepted||Last day submissions will be accepted to begin the format approval process1|
|Spring 2020||Mar 6||Mar 13|
|Summer 2020||Jun 12||Jun 19|
|Fall 2020||Oct 16||Oct 23|
|Semester of Graduation||Comprehensive Exam (if required)2||Language Verification (if required)3||Nonthesis/Project Final Exam4|
|Fall 2020||Dec 11||Dec 11||Dec 11|
|Spring 2021||May 5||May 5||May 5|
|Summer 2021||Aug 6||Aug 6||Aug 6|
1Submitted by the student.
2Entered by the department following the examination.
3Initiated by the student in the Department of World Languages & Cultures; entered by the Department of World Languages & Cultures.
4Entered by department after the examination.
- For graduation within a given semester, all graduate program requirements must be
completed and processed by the Graduate Records Office and Registrar’s office within two weeks following the published final examination period. Refer to Final Exam period on the Academic Calendar.
- It is the student’s responsibility to observe all deadlines and to check with his or her home department if anything on the Grad Student Prog Plan Audit page is incomplete (see the Graduate Student Summary tutorial for details).
- Deadlines for all requirements are clearly stated on The Graduate School website.
- If any requirement is not met, the student must reapply for graduation in the following semester.
- Each department should confirm the posting of student degrees after each graduation.