The Graduate School is establishing a limited-term initiative to provide TBP extensions to support graduate students whose completion during the 2020-2021 time frame has been delayed due to the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic. Eligible graduate students must have reached the end of their TBP allocation during Fall 2020, Spring, or Summer 2021 semesters. Students may request an extension of TBP for an additional 1-2 semesters by providing the requested documentation. Students receiving the COVID-TBP extension must meet all other standard TBP requirements.
Eligibility Requirements and Term
- Petitions should be submitted by directors of graduate studies or department TBP coordinators.
- The student must be a current graduate student receiving TBP whose TBP allocation has been exhausted between Fall 2020 and Summer 2021 semesters, inclusive.
- All other terms of the TBP program will apply. The student must receive the minimum stipend support level during the extension semesters. They must maintain the required minimum GPA and must register for the minimum number of credit hours required for TBP. Students on the COVID TBP extension will be eligible for medical/vision/dental insurance subsidy. Students are responsible for costs not covered under the standard TBP program, including differential tuition, non-resident tuition for RAs exceeding 84 credit hours, and 20% of the subsidized insurance premium billed through Income Accounting.
- Students must have all records in Graduate Tracking up to date. Students without an approved supervisory committee, approved program of study or required thesis proposal, and qualifying exam will not be eligible for the COVID-19 TBP extension.
- The student’s department or Primary investigator is responsible for providing the minimum stipend and medical/vision/dental insurance subsidy.
- The Graduate School will charge RA COVID TBP extensions to the relevant College’s F&A allocation. TA/GT/GR/GF COVID TBP extensions will count against departmental allocations.
- Departments can always provide xTBP extensions to a student without filing a COIVD-19 petition with the Graduate School Dean.
Submission deadline for COVID extension petitions is Monday, February 8, 2021.
Procedure to apply
1) Login and submit a new petition request at https://resources.gradschool.utah.edu/tbppetitions.
2) Upload the following documents to the petition request:
Attach a “Completion Plan” that documents a meeting between the student and the supervisory committee. This “Completion Plan” needs to include the agreed-upon graduation requirements and graduation milestones. The COVID-19 TBP extension will extend the TBP eligibility for 1 or 2 semesters to support the student’s tuition through the thesis defense milestone. COVID-19 TBP petitions needing more than a two-semester extension to meet the thesis defense milestone will be returned without approval.
Complete, sign, and attach the Petition Extention Form. The research supervisor or faculty chair must certify their intent to provide minimum stipend support and health/vision/dental insurance subsidy for the COVID-19 TBP extension duration.
- The petition for TBP in a given semester must be submitted before the TBP deadline for that semester. (Tuition Benefit portal closes on the semester’s census date.)
- Only one COVID-19 TBP extension petition is allowed per student. A single petition can request up to two additional semesters.
Questions about the COVID-19 Tuition Benefit Petition should be directed to