Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Who qualifies for the University of Utah Graduate Tuition Benefit Program (TBP)?

A matriculated graduate teaching assistant (TA), a graduate research assistant (RA), a graduate assistant (GA), or a graduate fellow (GF) who satisfies all eligibility requirements, e.g., registration hours, financial support, service guidelines, etc. as set out in the TBP Guidelines.

How can I participate in the TBP program?

Check with your departmental tuition benefit coordinator or director of graduate studies to verify your eligibility and to see whether you were added to the department’s TBP web list. The departmental TBP coordinator submits this list at the beginning of Fall and Spring semesters. If your name is not on this list for the semester(s) in question, you cannot participate in the TBP for that term(s).

If I have to repeat a course for a better grade, will tuition benefit pay for the course?

No, repeat courses are excluded from Tuition Benefit coverage. The course can count toward your total minimum course registration (9 credits), but the program will not pay the tuition for the repeated course.


How do I know if I am eligible for the TBP?

You may be eligible to participate in the TBP during the 2014-2015 academic year if each semester you (a) receive from University funding a minimum of $6,750 for a 100% benefit, $5,063 for a 75% benefit, or $3,375 for a 50% benefit; (b) are a matriculated graduate student registered for at least nine credit hours (but no more than 16; TBP covers up to 12 graduate hours for TA’s, GA’s, GF’s, and up to 11 for RA’s); (c) are a student in good standing, e.g., cumulative GPA of 3.0 (Law School, 2.0); and (d) have an eligible TBP work assignment not greater than 20 hours weekly (0.5 FTE). To maintain TBP eligibility, all domestic nonresident students must apply for Utah residency upon completion of 40 graduate level semester credit hours at the University of Utah. Go to for details on how to qualify and how to apply for residency reclassifications.

Who pays tuition for undergraduate courses (below 5000 level) graduate students may take to make up deficiencies in or directly as a part of the graduate program?

Undergraduate courses count toward the minimum registration of nine credit hours but do not qualify for a TBP credit. Graduate students taking graduate courses who (a) satisfy a supported TBP graduate student eligible category/s; (b) register for nine credits but not more than 16; and (c) comply with the TBP service requirements will have general graduate tuition and mandatory fees paid at the qualifying TBP percentage for graduate courses. Students are responsible for payment of tuition for (1) hours over 12 graduate credit hours (or over 11 for Research Assistants), (2) undergraduate hours, (3) audit, contract, activity, or CR/NC courses, (3) special fees, and/or (4) differential tuition. Nonresident students will be charged the in-state resident tuition rate.

Are special fees such as lab and field trip fees included in the benefit?

No. The TBP covers general graduate tuition and mandatory (building, activity, computer, etc.) fees for the maximum 12 credit hours (11 for Research Assistants).

How will I know that my tuition has been paid?

Check your student account on the Campus Information Services. Eligible students will receive a conditional tuition credit within six or seven days after the semester begins. Conditional tuition credit is determined using the appropriate percentage calculated from the anticipated dollar amount to be received during the semester. This amount is entered on the TBP Web page by your home department. Students must pay tuition and fees that do not qualify for the TBP, i.e., graduate credits above the 12 TBP eligible hours (11 for Research Assistants), undergraduate, contract, audited, or activity courses, differential tuition beyond the general graduate tuition, etc.

If I qualify for the TBP but learn that my account has not received TBP credit, whom do I contact?

Contact the tuition benefit coordinator in your home department.

Who is responsible for satisfying the continuous registration requirement of nine semester credit hours?

The student is responsible to register and to be continuously registered for at least nine credit hours throughout the semester.

When must students be registered for the minimum nine semester credit hours in order to participate in the TBP?

To be eligible to participate in the TBP, students must be registered for nine credit hours before the semester’s 15th day of classes. After the 15th class day, students not registered for the minimum nine credit hours cannot participate in the TBP for that semester. Students adding and/or dropping credit hours after the last official day to add/drop classes are responsible for paying their tuition.

What happens when an international student is accepted into a graduate program and is not registered by the 15th day of the semester; can that student still participate in the TBP?

A student must be registered by the 15th day of the term or eligibility for that semester is foregone. Each student is assigned a Student ID number by Graduate Admissions when accepted for graduate study at the University of Utah. By using this ID, a student can register for classes via the Internet from anywhere in the world. Therefore, a student should be able to be registered prior to the 15th day of the semester. A student must also satisfy all other eligibility criteria for TBP participation as well.

If I will receive my graduate degree from one department (my home department) but will receive financial support from another, which department TBP Web page should I be listed on in order to receive my tuition benefit?

You must be entered on your home department’s TBP Web list, i.e., the department that accepted you for graduate study as a degree-seeking student.

If I am a domestic, out-of-state graduate student, am I expected to apply for Utah residency?

Yes. Domestic, out-of-state students must apply for Utah residency upon completion of 40 graduate level semester credit hours at the University of Utah. Go to www.admissions.utah.edufor details on how to qualify and how to apply for residency reclassifications.

If I am receiving a partial tuition benefit, do I still need to carry the minimum nine semester credit hours?

Yes. At least nine credit hours must be maintained throughout the semester to preserve TBP eligibility.

If I receive a 50% tuition benefit Fall semester and a 50% tuition benefit Spring semester, have I used only one semester of eligibility since 50 plus 50 adds up to 100?

No. Whether a student receives a 100%, a 75%, or a 50% tuition benefit during a semester, it counts as using one semester of eligibility. Example: If a master’s candidate receives a 50% benefit during both Fall and Spring, two semesters of eligibility were used with two semesters of eligibility remaining.

If I receive a master’s degree in, say Chemistry, then apply for and am accepted into Biology for a second master’s degree, am I now eligible for two additional years of TBP support, since this is a new degree?

No. A University of Utah graduate student is eligible for a one-time tuition benefit. At the master’s level, this is four semesters with six additional semesters of TBP support if accepted as a doctoral candidate. The maximum number of semesters a Ph.D. student entering with a bachelor’s degree may participate in the TBP is 10 semesters or five years. Exceptions to this rule are: (1) If a student with a master’s degree from another institution is accepted to a U of U doctoral program, the student can receive up to eight instead of six semesters. (2) Certain categories of doctoral students can receive a two semester extension for having taught full-time (0.5 FTE) as a TA for four semesters.

I am pursuing a PhD and have used 4 semesters of tuition benefit, however I have decided to terminate the PhD program and get a Masters degree instead. Am I eligible for 4 additional semesters as a Masters student?

No, if you terminate your PhD program, your eligibility reverts to 4 semesters total. If you have already used those 4, you are not eligible for additional tuition benefit.

When did the Graduate Student Tuition Benefit Program (TBP) go into effect?

Autumn Quarter 1994.